Plant a Tree
Planting trees is one of the very effective measures available for climate change mitigation. We started the “Plant a tree project” 2019 as our next step to help the environment. Our goal is to plant as many trees as possible and educate for sustainability. Through close communication with the city of Bratislava, we plant trees to make our city more sustainable. In November 2019 we planted our first 50 trees and have since planted many more. Brilliant Stars finances the administration practical planting of all the trees. With your help, we will be able to greenify the city!
- 40,000€Money Raised
- 750+Educators & Children Involved
- 237Large Trees Planted
- 20School & Community Spaces
About the project
Why plant trees in the city?
- Planting trees is one of the very effective measures available for climate change mitigation.
- Trees are very important for urban biodiversity. They provide homes, food and protection for birds, insects and other bio-organisms.
- Trees not only produce oxygen, but a mature tree can absorb up to 150 kg of CO2 per year.
- Trees help to improve the micro-climate in the city by increasing air humidity, providing shade, helping to reduce temperature and reducing noise pollution, excellent urban drainage method, capturing dust to absorb contaminants from the air and retaining rain-water.
- Mature trees regulate water flow and play a key role in preventing floods and reducing the risk of natural disasters.
- To adopt new technologies and professional development to ensure up-to-date and research-based teaching and learning practices are being upheld. To foster creativity and transdisciplinary possibility thinking essential for 21st Century employability.
What are the costs?
There are particular challenges trees are faced within urban environments, such as air pollution, poorly compacted soil, damage to roots or soil from nearby construction activities, physical damage from lawnmowers, vehicles or people, excessive amounts of animal urine, etc.
Larger trees are often able to withstand these challenges, however, younger trees are often incapable. It is, therefore, necessary to plant bigger trees, approximately 2m tall with 16-18 cm in width, to ensure that they can survive the starting period. Especially for the first three years, the trees need special care and protection which also includes lots of watering (approximately 70 litres a week in the spring and summer months).
How can you help?
Your generous donation would facilitate the realisation of a greener city. Our goal is to plant as many trees as possible. Through our close communication with the city and municipalities of Bratislava, we are able to find places to plant the trees. Get in touch so that together we can make our city more sustainable.